March 24, 2008 - Helio Castroneves & YMCA Launch "Building Our Home Campaign"
What: Race Car driver and Dancing with the Stars Champion, Helio Castroneves joins Board of Trustees - YMCA of Greater Miami
Where: Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County, Ziff Opera House in the Studio Theater
When: March 24, 2008
Beneficiary: YMCA of Greater Miami
Host(s): Helio Castroneves
Blacktie Photos by: YMCA of Greater Miami
The Blacktie Photo Gallery is sponsored by:
YMCA of Greater Miami LauncheD
“Building Our Home Campaign” with Helio Castroneves
Race Car driver and Dancing with the Stars Champion,
Helio Castroneves joins Board of Trustees
MIAMI --- The YMCA of Greater Miami announced the launch of the Building Our Home Campaign with special guest Helio Castroneves, famed race car driver and winner of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars, at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County, Ziff Opera House in the Studio Theater.
The “Building Our Home” campaign’s goal is to raise $27 million to help build three new YMCA centers: Allapattah Village YMCA, Southwest/Downrite Family YMCA and South Dade Family YMCA.
“There are millions of people living in the Greater Miami community area who are greatly underserved,” said Castroneves. “This event was about validating those who are helping to transform those communities into healthier environments by supporting the YMCA throughout Miami.”
The party, courtesy of Restaurant Associates, honored the YMCA’s major Capital Campaign ‘early’ donors, celebrated Helio’s welcome-home from recently winning ABC’s Dancing with the Stars, his achievements on the race track and to announce his appointment to the Board of Trustees.
The six major donors honored included the following:
- Jean D. Shehan, a lifelong philanthropist;
- The Fred Flipse Family, Donn Flipse is a past board chair and third generation leader with the YMCA;
- Bank of America Charitable Foundation, the lead corporate donor whose gift is for the Bank of America Family Pavilion at the South Dade Branch;
- Mr. & Mrs. Art Heggen, YMCA members for more than 20 years, Art is chair of the South Dade Capital Campaign and was awarded Volunteer of the Year in 2006;
- Assurant, a long-time partner of the YMCA whose gift will underwrite the South Dade Family YMCA playground;
- Mr. and Mrs. D. Richard Mead, Jr., he is a past chair and long-time supporter and leader at the YMCA of Greater Miami.
“We are delighted to have Helio as a supporting voice of the YMCA of Greater Miami and the children and families we serve,” said the organization’s CEO, Alfred Sanchez. “Together we can bring more people together, while engaging them in creative programming that promotes self-confidence along with healthy minds and bodies.”
About the YMCA of Greater Miami
- For more than ninety years, the YMCA of Greater Miami has been committed to building strong kids, strong families and strong communities. The quality programs serve all kinds of people – every race and religion, every income level, male and female alike.
- Since 1981 the YMCA of Greater Miami has been a constant and the largest non-profit provider of after school programs outside of the school system.
- The Y was the first community organization to institute a swimming program – many of Miami’s leaders learned to swim at Y pools.
- Y programs include fitness for teens, adults and seniors; aquatics and water safety; youth sports including soccer, basketball, and tennis while learning sportsmanship, teamwork and fair play.
- Over 50% of YMCA members are women.
- More than 60% of Y kids are provided full or partial program scholarships totaling almost $1M annually. The Y aims to deny no child participation due to financial challenges.
More about the YMCA of Greater Miami
Founded in 1916, the YMCA of Greater of Miami is one of South Florida’s oldest and largest not-for-profit organizations. With branches throughout Miami-Dade and upper Monroe County, the Y is committed to building strong kids, strong families and strong communities. Its scope of services includes youth sports, aquatics, after-school, preschool and child care, summer camp, teen clubs and health and fitness programs. For more information about the YMCA of Greater Miami, call toll free 1-877-WOW-YMCA.